WEEKLY CURRICULUM & INSTRUCTION UPDATES & TIPS FOR EDUCATORS!
NEW TIP OF THE WEEK BELOW- Week of January 9-13, 2017
OST TIP #5- week ending January 13, 2017
This week's tip models utilization of math data (NWEA winter), alignment of an instructional tutorial resource (Khan Academy-math ) to create individualized, small group or whole group student tutorial sessions on identified areas of weakness. The tutorial topics selected below are based on District "gaps" by grade level after reviewing NWEA winter benchmark data.
*Remember teachers and/or teacher based teams should review their school/classroom level data to determine what would be the high need areas for extra reinforcement of their student population.
- Measurement Data (75.3%): Practice areas of measuring the length around the edge of an object (perimeter) and how much "space" something takes up on a flat surface (area). Measurement & Geometry
- Numbers & Operations (72.1%):Two of the most important operations to understand in math. Math is full of patterns that will keep emerging as you explore it (this is what makes math so beautiful). Multiplication & Division
- Measurement & Data (81.03%): When we measure anything, we do it in human-defined 'units'. Different units were defined in different places and for different scales. Students practice the 2 most common, U.S. customary units & metric units, thinking about how to convert between and among them as well as work on perimeter and area! Measurement & Data
- GEOMETRY (79.4%): The foundation of all geometry is the line--so that's a great place to practice. Students can also move into angles, quadrilaterals, and triangles. The goal is to reinforce the basic concepts, skills, and applications of geometry. Geometry
- Operations & Algebraic Thinking (78.7%): Students will practice writing and evaluating numerical expressions, as well as seeing, interpreting, and graphing patterns and relationships between numbers. Students will be challenged with more complex practice items in these tutorials! Operations and Algebraic Thinking
- Measurement & Data (80.6%):If you think about it, we measure almost everything: time, distance, size, weight, volume, etc. The question is, what unit of measurement is used and how is that unit constructed, compared, and converted? This is what students will practice in these tutorials. Measurement & Data
- Geometry (77.8%): Students will practice finding the area, volume, and surface area of all sorts of geometric shapes and work with shapes on the coordinate plane. Geometry
- Statistics & Probability (79.9%): Students will practice box and whisker plots, bar charts, pictographs, line graphs, and dot plots. Statistics & Probability
- Geometry (74.3%): In this series of tutorials and exercises students you'll practice and understand terms like segments, scale drawings, parts of a circle, area, volume, angles, and geometric figures. Geometry
- Statistics & Probability (73.6%) Tutorials on probability models, sample spaces, compound events, random samples, and a whole lot more. Statistics & Probability
- Real & Complex Number System (65.9%): In these tutorials, students will practice higher level types of numbers and operations. (approximating irrational numbers, square roots, cube roots, etc) Real & Complex
- Geometry (67.4%): Practice areas in finding volume of 3D shapes like spheres, cones, and cylinders and additional practice in translations, rotations, reflections, and congruence and similarity. Geometry
- Statistics & Probability (68.5%): Probability tells us how often some event will happen after many repeated trials. This topic covers theoretical, experimental, compound probability, permutations, combinations, and more! Statistics & Probability
- Real & Complex Number Systems (69.3%):Topic reinforcement & tutorials adding, subtracting, multiplying, & dividing complex numbers. Complex Number Systems
- Geometry (56.9%):This tutorial gives a bit of this background and then lays the conceptual foundation of points, lines, circles and planes that we will use as we journey through the world of Euclid. Geometry
- Real & Complex Number Systems (61.1%):Topic reinforcement & tutorials adding, subtracting, multiplying, & dividing complex numbers,Complex plane, Absolute value & angle of complex #s,Polar coordinates of complex #'s. Complex Number System
OST TIP #4- FIVE NEW Test Type Question TUTORIAL TOOLS week of 12/19-23, 2016
Click on the link below for each type of question tutorial. Each tutorial is between 2-3 minutes and a great activity for students to complete prior to taking an on-line practice test. Great opportunity for small group; station rotation; or create an opportunity for students to review a tutorial and then complete an on-line question related to the tutorial topic reviewed.
PLEASE NOTE: There is no audio for the tutorials listed below. Spanish tutorials are also included.
- Simulation: This tutorial demonstrates how to interact with questions that require the student to make choices and run a simulation.
- Grid Item: This tutorial demonstrates how to respond to questions that require the student to place, move, or interact with objects, or draw points or lines.
- Table Item: This tutorial demonstrates how to respond to questions that require the student to enter responses in a table.
- Hot Text Item: This tutorial demonstrates how to respond to questions that require the student to select or drag text.
- Evidence Based Selected Response: This tutorial demonstrates how to respond to questions that require the student to answer a two part question.
OST TIP #3- FOUR Test Type Question TUTORIAL TOOLS week of 12/12-16, 2017
Click on the link below for each type of question tutorial. PLEASE NOTE: There is no audio for the tutorials listed below. Spanish tutorials are also included.
- Math Extended Response Editor: Demonstrates how to respond to extended response math questions. Responses may require the student to enter text, tables, special characters or math objects.
- Link:Math Extended Response Math Extended Response Spanish
- Constructed Response: Tutorial demonstrates how to respond to questions that require the student to enter text. b. Link: Constructed Response Constructed Response Spanish
- Writing Extended Response: Tutorial demonstrates how to respond to questions that require the student to enter text. c. Link: Writing Extended Response Writing Extended Response Spanish
- Matching Item: Tutorial demonstrates how to respond to questions that require the student to match items in a table. d. Link: Matching Item Matching Item Spanish
OST TIP #2 -TRY OUT THE EQUATION RESPONSE TOOL week of 12/5-9, 2016
Click on the link below to utilize the Equation Response Editor tool tutorial. Why? Because students will be using this tool to enter answers that are numbers, expressions, or equations. Important things to remember:
- The tool is not a calculator—it will not perform calculations for you. The tool is designed to allow you to enter your answer to a question.
- Remember students can enter answers using the keyboard, the on-screen keypad, or a combination of both. As you practice, and your students practice, you may want to decide which method is most comfortable for your students, and focus on creating answers that way.
Ready to start? CLICK HERE and Let’s go!
OST TIP #1- SIGN IN AND NAVIGATION TOOLS week of 11/28-12/2/2016
For the next 18 weeks we will feature a tip or strategy as SLT/TBTs prepare students for end of year OSTs.
- This week (11/21) is a great time for students and teachers to complete 2 on-line tutorials.
- Each tutorial is about 7 minutes in length and will ensure teachers, testing administrators and students are comfortable with navigating the on-line system.
- It is critical that students have multiple opportunities to practice OST like questions.
- The first tutorial is designed to give an overview for signing on and navigating the tool site
- The second video is important for students to review prior to going on the Student Practice Site- students and teachers will become familiar with the Toolbar, Writing Tools and Toolbar Buttons
Click on Tutorial #1 Sign In & Navigation
Click on Tutorial #2 Navigating the tools